No Rules Vegetable Noodles and On-the-fly Spicy Tofu
For the noodles:
1. As many different vegetables as you fancy. My usual are carrots, green beans, mushrooms (I add everything from portobello to wood ear, shiitake, and enoki), broccoli and yellow squash. For this time I used carrots, yellow squash, portobello mushrooms and asparagus. I also toss in a fried egg or two every once a while.
2. Boiled Noodles- Enough to feed two ravenous appetites for two meals
3. Seasonings- Salt, Soy Sauce, Chili Garlic Sauce, Maggi Hot and Sweet Tomato Chili Sauce and any other Asian sauce that you can lay your hands on
4. Finely chopped ginger and garlic
Procedure: Heat some oil, preferably sesame (not the Indian version but the Chinese version) and fry the chopped ginger and garlic for a couple minutes. Turn up the heat and flash-fry the harder vegetables first. Once they cook a little and turn brown, add the softer vegetables like squash and mushrooms. Cook for a few more minutes, then add the salt and sauces. Now here comes the fun part, you can add the sauces in varying permutations to get a different taste every time. Once you are done with the sauces, add the noodles and toss well to combine. Done!
On-the-fly Spicy Tofu:
1. A pack of tofu, either silken or firm
2. Finely chopped ginger and garlic
3. Coarsely chopped green peppers
4. All the sauces that were used for the noodles
5. Two tablespoons of miso paste
6. A tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in water
Procedure: Heat oil in a wok and fry the chopped ginger and garlic. After a minute or two, add the green peppers and sauté until they brown. Add the miso paster, salt, and all the sauces. Combine well. Add half a cup of water and simmer the mixture for 5 minutes. Then, add the cornstarch to thicken the mixture. Remove from heat after a couple minutes and garnish with scallion greens if you wish. As easy as that!